Thursday, August 13, 2009

Final Project Unit 9

Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically? As doctors begin to work with patients having the means to emotionally be able to manage stress, possess self-esteem and self acceptance, and appropriately sharing your feelings with others will help the patients to be able to trust that the doctor isn’t looking pass them as a person. Having an open heart, an unconditional mind, and has a welcoming physical setting will also help the patient not to feel uneasy (Dacher 2006 p171). Doctors should also have developed ways to use their mind with loving kindness, in order to have a feel and hear what their patients are experiencing. Spiritually the connection that doctors need to their patients can be 1 of empathic listening and caring.
As I continue to learn the ways of integral health, I found all areas of psychologically, spiritually and physically needs to be address in my life. As some people will say “Tamika is like a wave in the ocean”. I find myself never level in any part of my life. I guess it all depends on my mood to bring out how I am in the moment. Psychologically I need to be able to slow down racing thoughts, open my mind and think outside the box. Even though I’m less judgmental towards others, I find myself unconsciously still judging people on their views on the world. The most hurtful part of my psychologically wellness is my anger. Although I have come along way from where I was having a raging fit on a drop of a dime, last week I almost lost in with my anger on my husband. On a scale of 1 – 10 I guess I would rate myself as a 4 in this area. I want to keep operating ways to calm my mind with the exercises from Elliot Dacher’s book and from the new book I just bought called “Awakening to Mindfulness.
My spiritual life is strange I think because I seem to reach out for different things like I’m lost. I do believe in my Heavenly Father, I believe in John 3:16, but at the same time I wonder about how life began for humanity. Are we from a cell organism that grew into humans or did God created us through Adam and Eve? I pray so I will continue to pray for the right path, safety, patience and more. Spiritual I scored myself as a 6 because I have a long way to go in Christ.
Physically, I find myself relapsing in my fitness. About a month ago I started going to the gym working out 3 times week 2 hours per visit, and now I think the last time I have been to the gym was 2 weeks ago. I truly have no excuse other than developing the swine flu 4 days ago. Sometimes I think my health is my only reason why I don’t stay in the gym. I hate seeing myself losing my balance or unable to pick up a weight not because of how much it weights but because my muscles are too weak. I also need to eat healthier and stay away from all the additives that are in non organic foods. I know so much on what is unhealthy in foods to the point where I tell doctors what to do for their patients. Over all I scored myself as a 7.
As I look at my life, I see the changes that need to be done if I want to have been human flourishing. My goal is to take one step at a time and use the exercises in Dacher’s book for my mind. I feel once I have my mind in order the other parts of my life will follow. In the book that I spoke of earlier Awakening to Mindfulness it covers 10 steps for a positive change, and I plan to follow the steps. The more positivity feels I have in my life the better my personal and professional life will be.
For me physically goals I have a list: 1. Eat more organically and leave fast foods alone. 2. Start going back to the gym for 30 minutes 3 times a week. 3. Take a yoga class for my mind-body-soul. & 4. Start on a medication that will slow down my disease.
In order for me to achieve my goals in health and wellness, I plan to keep a journal of my life everyday from what I eat to see my counselor weekly as well as intending a church every Saturday. I plan to find a partner who shares some of the same goals, so we can fight this positive fight together.

2 comments:

  1. Mika-
    I pray that you will keep your blog going. You are so strong and I hope you realize this. I like reading your blogs and the way you explain life's issues. I know this: U WILL BE FINE...Trust me...You will be..god is with you and he's going to reveal all the things about life that you ? Its ok to want to know...thats all in growing spiritually..take care--angie*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mika- I can relate to the attitude at the drop od a dime, I definetly need to work on that myself. I wish you the best in your struggle with your disease, and all the strength in the world.

    ReplyDelete